Depleted Saints fall to Leicester defeat

By SFC Media time Sat 16 Jan Leicester City v Saints
Photo by Matt Watson | Ché Adams
Sat 16 Jan 8PM
Premier League
Leicester City
Maddison [37'] Barnes [90+5']
Fofana (15') Albrighton (45')
yellow card
Diallo (44') Bertrand (59')
Referee: Stuart Attwell | Venue: King Power Stadium | Attendance: 0

A depleted Southampton side missing a host of first-team players went down fighting in a first league defeat at the King Power Stadium since Leicester’s 2015/16 title-winning campaign.

James Maddison opened the scoring with an unstoppable close-range finish in the 37th minute, before Harvey Barnes wrapped up the victory in stoppage time, but that does not tell the full story.

Saints enjoyed the majority of the possession in the first half and forced Kasper Schmeichel into some crucial saves, while Stuart Armstrong rattled the keeper’s crossbar in the second period, but the equalising goal proved elusive before Barnes finished the job,

Ralph Hasenhüttl made three changes to his side as Saints finally returned to action 12 days since Liverpool were caught cold by Danny Ings’s early winner against his former club at St Mary’s.

This time the boss would have to do without his top scorer, with Ings sidelined having tested positive for Covid-19, but goalkeeper Alex McCarthy had recovered from the virus and was back between the sticks.

Ché Adams retuned from concussion to lead the line in Ings’s absence, while Will Smallbone started on the right flank with Armstrong on the left, as the Academy graduate made his first appearance for four months.

Hasenhüttl’s depleted team settled into the game well, bossing the early possession, but the first quarter of an hour passed by without an attempt at goal from either side.

The game burst into life when Armstrong, now on the right, slid a pass down the line for Adams, who had the pace to run away from Jonny Evans and play the ball across the six-yard line, where Youri Tielemans was perfectly placed to prod it behind for a corner.

LEICESTER, ENGLAND - JANUARY 16: Ryan Bertrand of during the Premier League match between Leicester City and Southampton at The King Power Stadium on January 16, 2021 in Leicester, England. Sporting stadiums around England remain under strict restrictions due to the Coronavirus Pandemic as Government social distancing laws prohibit fans inside venues resulting in games being played behind closed doors. (Photo by Matt Watson/Southampton FC via Getty Images)
Ryan Bertrand forced Kasper Schmeichel into a fine first-half save

Back came Leicester, as Marc Albrighton looked for Jamie Vardy in the box, who cleverly dummied the ball for the onrushing Barnes, who forced the first save of the game from McCarthy, diving to his right to repel the danger.

Saints responded when Smallbone’s first-time pass was helped on by Theo Walcott for strike partner Adams, who tried to beat Schmeichel at his near post but found the keeper equal to it. 

The visitors knew they had pace in attack and were not afraid to use it, seeking the willing runs of Walcott and Adams from early balls anytime possession was turned over.

It was impressive stuff from Saints, for whom Walcott, Armstrong and Smallbone were interchanging nicely, whilst Ibrahima Diallo looked at home in midfield. 

But it was the hosts who made the breakthrough eight minutes before the interval courtesy of some Maddison magic.

Latching on to a slide-rule pass from Tielemans, Maddison cleverly rolled Jack Stephens in the box, allowing the ball to come across his body before slamming an unstoppable shot into the roof of the net from a tight angle.

It was the first goal Saints had conceded since Stephens stepped in to fill the void vacated by the injured Jannik Vestergaard four games ago.

Undeterred, Saints threatened a quick-fire leveller. James Ward-Prowse pierced the Leicester defence with an inch-perfect first-time pass to release Ryan Bertrand, who went for power and thought he’d beaten Schmeichel at his near post, only for the keeper to somehow divert the ball over his own crossbar.

Hasenhüttl’s men could count themselves hard done by to be trailing at the break, and instantly set about redressing the balance after the restart when Armstrong played in Smallbone to his left, whose attempted curler was parried with sufficient force by Schmeichel to ensure Walcott was unable to sort his feet out in time to convert the follow-up.

LEICESTER, ENGLAND - JANUARY 16: Will Smallbone of Southampton receives treatment during the Premier League match between Leicester City and Southampton at The King Power Stadium on January 16, 2021 in Leicester, England. Sporting stadiums around England remain under strict restrictions due to the Coronavirus Pandemic as Government social distancing laws prohibit fans inside venues resulting in games being played behind closed doors. (Photo by Matt Watson/Southampton FC via Getty Images)
Will Smallbone was forced off with an injury in the second half

Already without Ings, Vestergaard, Oriol Romeu, Nathan Redmond, Moussa Djenepo, Mohammed Salisu, Michael Obafemi and Nathan Tella, Saints’ cause wasn’t helped when Smallbone fell awkwardly under an innocuous challenge from Timothy Castagne, and was unable to continue.

Next in line was Dan Nlundulu, whose 13-minute cameo against Liverpool was the longest of his senior career to date, as Hasenhüttl turned to an incredibly inexperienced bench. This time the striker had half an hour to make his mark, as Walcott moved out to the wing.

Saints continued to enjoy most of the ball, but Leicester are always content to play on the counter-attack, which plays into the hands of the lightning-quick Vardy.

The visitors had contained him well for the most part, but the predatory marksman was afforded a half-chance with his head that he sent over the bar, before Maddison’s pass into his path was fractionally overhit, allowing defenders to retreat.

Chances were like London buses for Vardy, who then sent a dropping ball over the bar with an attempted left-footed lob, before another headed opportunity came and went.

Hasenhüttl’s only attacking option left on the bench with any first-team experience was Shane Long, who duly replaced Adams 20 minutes from time, and was immediately in the thick of the action.

When Nlundulu found Armstrong, the Scot checked inside on to his right foot and let fly with a rocket of a shot that beat Schmeichel and left his crossbar reverberating.

Goal frame still shaking, the ball looped into the air and was followed in by Long, who was pushed in the back for what looked a certain penalty, only for the Irishman to be flagged offside as Leicester survived a major scare.

At the other end, Saints were indebted to Jan Bednarek’s defensive instincts when Barnes beat McCarthy but not the covering Pole, who headed off the line.

Meanwhile, Vardy smelled blood as Saints committed more bodies forward, and might have sewn the game up when he turned inside Bednarek to open up the goal, but McCarthy kept his team in the game with a miraculous stop.

Saints kept pushing, forcing a stoppage-time corner from which Armstrong curled another shot over, but Barnes made sure of the points with a cool finish at the death.

Leicester City

Head to Head Stats

  • Possession (%)
    comparison angle
  • Shots
    comparison angle
  • Shots on target
    comparison angle
  • Corners
    comparison angle
  • Passes Complete
    comparison angle

Leicester City

Kasper Schmeichel (GK) (C)
Jonny Evans
Wesley Fofana yellow card
replace Çaglar Söyüncü (53′)
Timothy Castagne
James Justin
James Maddison goal
replace Ayoze Pérez (77′)
Wilfred Ndidi
Marc Albrighton yellow card
Youri Tielemans
Harvey Barnes goal
Jamie Vardy
replace Kelechi Iheanacho (91′)
Cengiz Ünder
Çaglar Söyüncü
Ricardo Pereira
Danny Ward
Luke Thomas
Daniel Amartey
Nampalys Mendy
Kelechi Iheanacho
Ayoze Pérez


Alex McCarthy (GK)
Kyle Walker-Peters
Ryan Bertrand yellow card
Jan Bednarek
Jack Stephens
Ibrahima Diallo yellow card
replace Yan Valery (87′)
William Smallbone
replace Daniel N'Lundulu (61′)
James Ward-Prowse (C)
Stuart Armstrong
Che Adams
replace Shane Long (72′)
Theo Walcott
Allan Tchaptchet
Kgaogelo Chauke
Caleb Watts
Yan Valery
Shane Long
Jake Vokins
Daniel N'Lundulu
Fraser Forster
Will Ferry
The Final Whistle podcast: Leicester 2-0 Saints
Leicester City v Saints

The Final Whistle podcast: Leicester 2-0 Saints

James Beattie and Paul Belverstone analyse Saints' defeat.

timeSun 17 Jan
Highlights: Leicester 2-0 Saints 90 in 90: Leicester 2-0 Saints
FA Youth Cup semi-final details confirmed
West Ham United vs Saints

FA Youth Cup semi-final details confirmed

Southampton FC Under-18s travel to West Ham in April.

time12 hours ago
Saints welcome new Premier League fan engagement announcement Video: Introducing RoweEdition ahead of ePL Grand Finals