We bring our look at the three clubs promoted to the Premier League to a close with Championship winners Norwich City.
Norwich were the dominant force in last season’s Championship, finishing six points clear of second place Watford.
After a disappointing 2019/20 season, where Norwich finished 20th in the Premier League on just 21 points, it was an emphatic comeback for Daniel Farke’s side.
For the second time in three seasons, Norwich were promoted as Champions of the Championship.
The Canaries wrapped up the title after beating Reading 4-1 at Carrow Road, finishing the season on an impressive 97 points.
Once again, Teemu Pukki was the shining star for Norwich, scoring 26 goals in all competitions across the 2020/21 season.
For a second time, Norwich’s Championship winning season was masterminded by Daniel Farke, who was appointed head coach in May 2017.
Farke’s first season at Carrow Road resulted in a somewhat disappointing 14th place finish in the Championship, but just a year later his side were crowned Championship champions.
A 4-0 defeat to West Ham after the season restart in July 2020 meant Norwich were instantly relegated back to the Championship.
Sticking to their principles, Daniel Farke was entrusted to bring Norwich back to the top flight of English football again – and rightly so.
- Saints legend Mick Channon made 88 appearances for Norwich, scoring 16 goals between 1982 and 1985.
- Current Saints goalkeeper Fraser Forster spent the 2009/10 season on loan from Newcastle to Norwich, keeping 18 clean sheets in his time with the club. Since signing for Southampton in 2014 he has made 115 appearances and counting.
- Norwich was Saints' goalkeeper Angus Gunn’s boyhood club, with him also spending a season on loan there in 2017/18.
- Nathan Redmond made 112 appearances for Norwich between 2013 and 2016, scoring his first goal for the club against Southampton. Redmond later joined Saints from Norwich and has since made 167 appearances, scoring 20 goals.
- Academy product Harrison Reed spent the 2017/18 season on loan at Norwich.
- Making 83 appearances for Saints, Andy Townsend left the club for Norwich in 1998 going on to appear 71 times and scoring 8 goals for the Canaries.
- Saints’ first team coach since 2018, Craig Fleming, spent the majority of his playing career at Norwich and made 343 appearances for the club.
- Before joining Saints for the 2014/15 season, Ryan Bertrand also had a loan spell at Norwich between 2008 and 2009.
June 2020 Norwich 0-3 Southampton (Premier League)
December 2019 Southampton 2-1 Norwich (Premier League)
January 2017 Southampton 1-0 Norwich (FA Cup)