Southampton B fell to a dramatic defeat at Middlesbrough in a tale of two late penalties in Premier League 2.

Trailing since the 29th minute, Saints fought their way back into the game to level with a spot-kick converted by Kazeem Olaigbe.

With just four minutes to play at the time of the equaliser, it looked likely to finish all square, but Dare Olunfunwa brought down Joe Gibson in the 90th minute, presenting the chance for Josh Coburn to win the game with a penalty of his own, as skipper Olufunwa was dismissed for his part in the incident.

Saints were the team looking to probe for the majority of the first half, with Matt Carson going close to making the breakthrough after 12 minutes.

Racing on to Kazeem Olaigbe’s ball over the top, the wing-back had time to compose himself but dragged his shot just wide of the far post.

Saints then showed some quickness of feet and thought with some sharp passing around the edge of the box, eventually leading to a shooting chance for Olaigbe, but the sting was taken out of the strike by a deflection that made for an easy save.

When Ramello Mitchell was released by Kegs Chauke, Boro had to be saved by a last-ditch interception as the visitors kept the pressure on.

But it was the home team who struck first on the half-hour, as Jeremy Sivi was in the right place to finish into the roof of the net as Saints were unlocked by a low cross from the right.

A tall winger, Sivi proved to be a menace again 10 minutes later, as he waltzed past a couple of tentative challenges in the box and forced a smart save from the legs of Harry Lewis.

Lewis had to be alert again when Jack Hannah’s near-post corner was headed goalwards by Martin Payero, forcing the goalkeeper into an acrobatic stop to help it over his crossbar.

Chances proved hard to come by for both sides in the second period. Dave Horseman introduced Teddy Davey for Jayden Smith on the hour, and it was the substitute who was tripped by Connor Malley to allow Olaigbe to equalise emphatically from the spot.

Unfortunately that was not the end of the drama, as Olufunwa received his marching orders and Coburn won the game for the buoyant hosts.