PL2 Report: Leicester 7-1 Saints


It was a forgettable night for Southampton's B team, who suffered heavy defeat at Leicester City on Monday night.

After an end-to-end opening half an hour Leicester took the lead on 36 minutes as Jacob Wakeling found the bottom corner from close range following a neat Jack Bycroft save.

The second followed three minutes later, Wakeling again on the scoresheet slotting his shot just under the Saints keeper for his second of the afternoon.

On the stroke of half-time Saints were handed a lifeline as Oludare Olufunwa headed home on his first start for over a year.

However the two-goal lead was restored in the 48th minute, as substitute Tyrese Shade fired an effort into the roof of the net first time despite looking to be offside.

With the earlier result seeing West Ham go three points clear of Saints thanks to a victory over Everton, three points of their own were vital on Monday night for Dave Horseman’s side.

Saints’ line-up had a more youthful feel to it compared to the side that faced Chelsea a week ago.

In came the likes of Jayden Smith and Dare Olufunwa, the latter making his first start of the season after recovering from a long-term injury.

The Leicester line-up included the prolific Wakeling, who had six goals to his name before the start of play, and Sidnei Tavares, who has been linked with the likes of Barcelona in recent weeks.

As the sun set across the brand-new training facilities here in the Midlands the opening chance of the game fell to the hots.

Thanawat Suengchitthawon, who featured on the first-team bench against West Ham recently, flicked the ball into the path of Shane Flynn

Flynn’s cross fell to Kasey McAteer who was clipped the bar from close range, missing the chance to give Leicester the lead inside five minutes.

Saints’ opening effort came in the seventh minute; Smith and Ramello Mitchell combining before the latter’s curled effort failed to find the target from the edge of the penalty area.

An even better chance fell to Saints on 12 minutes, as James Morris burst forward with the ball on the left flank, before seeing his shot inside the box blocked.

The blocked effort fell to Kazeem Olaigbe, who dragged the rebound just wide of the far post with keeper Jakub Stolarczyk scrambling.

In the 15th minute the game’s early tempo dropped due to an aerial clash between Allan Tchaptchet and Leicester’s Wakeling.

Fortunately both players continued following two minutes of treatment and all the necessary precautions being adhered to.

The first chance following the break in play fell once more to Saints and once more to Olaigbe, who received a one-two off of Mitchell before having his effort deflected just wide.

Next was an effort for Sam Bellis, who after bursting free of his man on the left wing cut inside and dragged his effort wide of the far post.

Leicester’s next effort on goal followed a training ground corner routine, the ball eventually meeting the head of Ben Nelson who could only head straight at Jack Bycroft.

Saints responded once more; Smith carrying the ball through into the final third before laying off Mitchell, whose curled effort just missed the target.

Then came the breakthrough for the hosts with ten to play before the break.

A deep cross found McAteer at the back post, who hit an effort on the half volley which Bycroft parried away.

Following up was Wakeling, who made no mistake in finding the far corner from Leicester’s second bite of the cherry.

Three minutes later Leicester doubled their lead, Wakeling getting in behind the Saints’ back-line before firing his shot under Bycroft for the two-goal cushion.

As the interval loomed the hosts really turned the screw, buoyant on their quick-fire double which all but killed Saints’ momentum.

Inside the 45th minute Wakeling will have been disappointed not to have completed his first-half hat-trick, heading wide from just outside the six-yard box.

But the final chance, and final goal, of the half fell to the visitors.

Morris’ deep corner met the head of Tchaptchet who forced a good save from Stolarczyk, but ready for the rebound was Olufunwa who marked his return to the starting line-up with a goal in the third minute of time added on.

It was a positive end to the half in which Saints will have felt hard done by being two goals behind, giving Horseman’s side something to build on second half.

Perhaps with this in mind the first chance of the second half fell to Saints; Zuriel Otseh-Taiwo firing a ball across goal only for Stolarczyk to palm it away from danger.

But a stroke of fortune fell Leicester’s way in the 48th minute which restored their two-goal advantage.

Tavares burst forward and looked to chip through substitute Shade who made a run in behind.

Saints looked to have held a good line, but the linesman’s flag remained down and there was nothing Bycroft could do about the first-time hit which found the roof of the net.

The Foxes then had their tails up, Shade involved again with a wide run into the penalty area from the left wing but choosing to shoot instead of picking out the unmarked Hulme.

Full-back Vontae Daley-Campbell, who has first-team experience to his name this season, was next to come close, volleying over Wakeling’s deep cross.

After a fast start to the second 45 the game died down for ten minutes or so as both sides battled for the next goal.

The next big chance came 15 minutes later, substitute Shade the focal point once more sending his free header just over following a corner routine.

This sighter seemed to lift Leicester once more, evident by their fourth goal of the evening with twenty minutes to go.

Suengchitthawon found the ball at his feet on the edge of the box, before hitting an effort into the bottom right-hand corner with pace and accuracy.

Chances for Saints during the second half were few and far between; Olaigbe having an effort via a wide free kick with 15 minutes to go which had too much height on it for the far corner.

Leicester remained a threat throughout; Wakeling eager for his hat-trick finding space inside the penalty area but followed closely by Morris, who did well to block the effort behind.

The fifth goal did come though for the hosts via the resulting corner.

Meeting the corner on the edge of the box was Dasilva, who volleyed his effort past Bycroft with unstoppable pace as the game entered the final ten minutes.

The Foxes didn’t have to wait long for their sixth either as Wakeling completed his hat-trick with a deflected effort which bounced over a helpless Bycroft.

It was seven two minutes later, another superb strike from Shade who capped off a fruitful 45 minutes with a fierce hit into the far corner.

The scoring finished at seven on a forgettable night to say the least for Horseman and his side.

They’ll look to respond on Sunday 2nd May when Everton visit St Mary’s Stadium.