B Team Report: Stunning second half secures Saints B win


Southampton B team made it three wins from three in the Premier League Cup with a scintillating second half performance against Colchester United Under-21s.

A tight first half ended goalless but the hosts were reduced to ten men just before half time.

Saints were ruthless in the second half as Zuriel Otseh-Taiwo broke the deadlock in the 50th minute before the floodgates opened.

Jimmy-Jay Morgan scored another brace as Luke Pearce and Sam Amo-Ameyaw completed the scoring.

There were three changes to the Saints side who were victorious on Monday night, as Dave Horseman’s side were looking to continue their perfect start in Group F.

Otseh-Taiwo, Pearce, and Amo-Ameyaw were all handed starts, whilst there were call-ups onto the bench for Under-18s players, Joe Andrews and Alex Stepien-Iwumene.

After a cagey opening at the Colchester Community Stadium, the hosts found the first opportunity of the afternoon with Ollie Wright called into action twice in quick succession.

Kai Redgrave’s mazy run set up an opportunity for Colchester to deliver a dangerous cross that Wright palmed away from an onrushing attacker at the far post.

Saints’ goalkeeper was then alert to deny a low cross with his feet at the near post, as Horseman’s side found themselves with a firm test on their hands.

In the 15th minute, Sam Bellis had the first chance to punish Colchester after some neat interplay on the right wing, meeting Otseh-Taiwo’s cross with an acrobatic effort that was well saved.

The U’s best opportunity was created by the vibrant Jayden Fevrier who proved to be a danger on the wing surging down the left before cutting the ball back to Noah Chilvers, whose shot was sent wide by a vital block from Nico Lawrence.

With the first half drawing to a close, the hosts were reduced to ten men in what would prove to be a pivotal turning point. Marshall-Miranda raked through the back of Jack Turner to receive his second yellow card and his marching orders.

With a man advantage in the second half, Saints needed to make it count and they did so in style.

Otseh-Taiwo opened the scoring in the 50th minute, coolly slotting underneath the goalkeeper after being released on the overlap by Amo-Ameyaw.

As the game ticked past the hour mark, the lead was doubled after Luke Pearce was fouled in the area and the referee pointed to the spot.

Despite the goalkeeper’s best efforts, Morgan stepped up and squeezed the ball underneath him to increase the deficit.

Two quickly became three as Luke Pearce added his name to the scoresheet, blasting in a powerful finish after Amo-Ameyaw had hit the crossbar with a deft lob.

The goals kept coming as just five minutes later Morgan had his second - his ninth goal in four games - and Saints had their fourth as the in-form forward was free in the area to finish Sam Bellis’ pinpoint cross.

With the game beyond all doubt, Amo-Ameyaw rounded off the scoring with a deserved goal of his own after a devastating counter-attack.

Saints' 16-year-old wingers combined as Morgan broke from his own box after defending a free-kick and raced to the halfway line before laying off Amo-Ameyaw, who had space to run all the way to the area and slot the ball into the bottom corner.

A five-star second half ensured that Saints remain top of the group having played each side once, as they now gear up for the second meeting with Colchester United on Friday 2nd December at St Mary’s Stadium.