U18 Report: High-flying Saints beat Spurs


Southampton Under-18s recorded their fifth-straight win in all competitions as a dominant second-half performance saw off Spurs 3-0.

Goals from Fedel Ross-Lang, Jimmy Morgan and Tyler Dibling proved the difference and kept Saints in joint-top spot in the league standings.

Spurs had the first meaningful shots on goal as striker Jaden Williams saw his snap shot on the turn deflected narrowly wide before Rio Kyerematen had a firm effort well blocked by a Saints body.

It was Spurs goalkeeper Luca Gunter who was forced into the first real save of the game though. Saints midfielder Kaya Tshaka took aim from just outside the area and saw the ball flick off a defender’s leg before being parried away by Gunter, who had reacted well in the circumstances.

With both teams battling for full control of the contest, further chances opened up for Saints, although Fedel Ross-Lang and Tyler Dibling were not able to find the right connection with shots from range.

Another positive and promising push infield from Dibling saw space open up for him for a second time shortly after with half-time fast approaching, but he fired off target again despite connecting well with his strong left foot from a central position.

A late spell of pressure saw Saints force several corners but they were unable to make full use of their strong burst before the break as the hosts held firm at the back.

It was a first period that had been about as even as they come but the deadlock was perhaps an indication of two well-coached and talented teams going head-to-head.

Saints picked up where they left off as the second-half got underway and two dangerous corner deliveries from Fedel Ross-Lang saw Spurs action required near the goal line to deny the opener going the way of the visitors.

Eventually Carl Martin’s side did, deservedly, find the net.

A quick breakaway involving Jimmy Morgan and Ross-Lang saw the former latch onto a defence-splitting pass and, although he was through with a shooting chance himself, he unselfishly squared for Ross-Lang to side-foot calmly home with 55 minutes on the clock.

Saints were now winning the ball back at will in midfield areas and an incisive move forward almost saw their advantage doubled.

Cameron Bragg won the ball and set Ross-Lang free for another shot that was palmed away well, but Jimmy Morgan and second-half substitute Diamond Edwards could not put away the follow-ups that came their way as they searched for an all-important second.

However, that second did come with 20 minutes remaining and it was another nicely worked move as Luke Pearce set up Jimmy Morgan to bend a nicely into the far corner and fully mark the away side’s dominance in the second period.

Further chances came and went for both sides as Pearce’s header was well denied and Saints goalkeeper Eddie Beach stood firm to stop Spurs forwards Jaden Williams and Maxwell McKnight finding a way back into proceedings.

There was still time for a Saints third in stoppage-time as a signature Tyler Dibling dart inside paid off with a low strike that snuck inside the near post.

Saints are in action again next weekend when they travel to take on Newcastle away from home in the Premier League Cup.