Loan Watch: Lis saves debut penalty


Saints’ on-loan goalkeeper, Mateusz Lis, saved a penalty on his UberEats Ligue 1 debut for ESTAC Troyes. All this and more in this week’s Loan Watch…

It was a standout performance for Lis, who made his debut for ESTAC Troyes in a 1-1 draw with AC Ajaccio.

The Polish goalkeeper saved a penalty in the 37th minute with the score goalless, in what was an eventful start to his time in France.

Back in England, Dynel Simeu kicked off a positive weekend for Saints’ loanees during the only Football League game on Friday evening.

The defender scored his maiden goal for Tranmere Rovers in their 3-0 win over Crewe Alexandra in SkyBet League Two.

The 20-year-old continued his fine form with Rovers as he opened the scoring at Prenton Park, before keeping a fifth consecutive League Two clean sheet that earned him a place in the Team of the Week.

On Saturday, Will Smallbone struck the first goal of the game in Stoke City’s 2-0 win on the road against Preston North End in the SkyBet Championship.

The 22-year-old slotted home with composure in front of the travelling fans, setting the Potters up for their second consecutive victory which helped leapfrog their opponents and move up to 13th in the table.

“I just made sure I got a good, solid contact on it and it was class, to be fair!” beamed Smallbone in his post-match interview.

“Now hopefully I can kick on and get a few more goals and assists from an attacking point of view.”

Elsewhere in the Championship, Nathan Tella was in action as his Burnley side went top of the SkyBet Championship table with a dominant 4-0 win over Swansea City.

Tella played 62 minutes before being substituted, with the game settled as the Clarets had already established their four-goal margin at the time.

One division down, Australian youngster Caleb Watts returned to SkyBet League One action for the first time since September 3rd with Morecambe.

Coming off the bench in the 67th minute with The Shrimps trailing against Burton Albion, Watts helped his side find an equaliser as the game ended in a 1-1 draw.

There were further valuable minutes for Dan Nlundulu as he lead the line for Cheltenham Town, playing 82 minutes in a defeat against an in-form Bristol Rovers side.

Elsewhere in the division, Kegs Chauke made two substitute cameos for Exeter City, against Charlton Athletic and Oxford United, as the Grecians sit in 10th place in the league.

For Saints’ loanees in the Vanarama National League, there was a break from league action as they entered the Emirates FA Cup Fourth Round Qualifying.

Jack Bycroft enjoyed a successful afternoon for National League South side Taunton Town, who travelled to higher-tier Yeovil Town.

The shot-stopper kept a clean sheet as Taunton played out a 0-0 draw, which puts them in the hat for the First Round for only the third time in their history as they will play out a replay on Tuesday evening.

Similarly, Chippenham Town will also require a replay as they drew 2-2 with Hendon. Young defender Will Tizzard played 90 minutes in the dramatic tie.

Jake Vokins was an unused substitute as his Woking side advanced to the First Round with a 2-1 win over fellow National League outfit, Southend United.

Further down the pyramid the two Under 18s loanees, Tommy-Lee Higgs and Harvey Woods, made their debuts for Gosport Borough and AFC Totton respectively.

Woods impressed as a half time substitute in Totton’s 3-0 win over Slimbridge AFC, with manager Jimmy Ball singing the youngster’s praises post-match.

“Harvey Woods showed some good movement and got into dangerous areas for us. He didn’t see a lot of the ball but I liked what I saw, and I’m sure he’ll come into it a bit more as we go.

Higgs was a late substitute for Gosport, playing 24 minutes in a defeat against high-flying Hanwell Town.

Finally, up in Scotland, Kazeem Olaigbe was a 73rd minute substitute for Ross County in their 1-1 draw against Dundee United in the SPL.