B Team Report: Saints secure first win


Kazeem Olaigbe's early first-half penalty secured a throughly deserved first three points of the season for Southampton's B team at Wolves in Premier League 2.

Dave Horseman’s side took an early lead at Sir Jack Hayward training ground, Kazeem Olaigbe making no mistake from the penalty spot after just six minutes.

Despite being the bigger threat of the two sides from then on a second goal didn't come, resulting in a nervy last few minutes as Wolves pressed.

But the visitors held onto their deserved lead to claim their win of the season.

Saints welcomed back Thierry Small to the side after a brief spell on the sidelines through injury. Will Smallbone also kept his place from the Papa John’s defeat at Charlton, with a trialist looking to make his mark for the visitors up top.

Wolves’ standout player in the starting XI was £35 million-man Fabio Silva, who started as the main man in a front three for the hosts.

It was certainly a fast start for Saints and one in which they profited from.

After just five minutes Olaigbe produced a lobbed through ball into the path of Caleb Watts inside the box, who was fouled resulting in the visitors being awarded a penalty.

Up stepped Olaigbe, who made it three from three from the spot this season with a triumphant finish past Louie Moulden.

It was almost two just minutes later; Watts’ near post header glanced narrowly over by Dare Olufunwa as the early pressure continued.

A brief Wolves response was led by Chem Campbell, who fired a fierce first-time volley at Jack Bycroft from close range on 10 minutes, forcing a fine save.

Next came an opportunity for Smallbone, who found space on the edge of the box before fizzing a low shot just wide.

Despite Saints’ pressure Wolves’ threat on the counter remained, Silva bursting down the left wing on 20 minutes but chased well by Lewis Payne who denied a shot at goal.

The hosts thought they had equalised on the half hour mark, following a scramble in the Saints box which Bycroft did well to claim the ball from, despite claims it had ventured over the line.

Despite the claims Saints continued to dominate the half, Payne showing his attack exploits by getting down the left wing on numerous occasions. Saints just missing the final touch to double their lead before the break.

Wolves had the opening chance of the second 45 as Dexter Lembikisa curled an effort towards goal. Well claimed by Bycroft once more.

Horseman’s side soon reasserted their hold of the game, controlling the lion’s share of possession and pushing their hosts back in search of a second.

Where the hosts got forward they were met by a stern Saints defence, marshalled at the heart by Olufunwa, Olly Lancashire and Dynel Simeu.

Going forward the visitors kept possession well, waiting patiently for the final ball with Wolves sitting back.

With ten minutes left on the clock Wolves ramped up the pressure, starting to test the Saints back five more regularly.

Saints remained a threat on the break, however; Payne getting on the end of a quick counter on 84 minutes which Moulden did well to save from close range.

Wolves’ best chance of the game came with four to play.

A square ball finding an unmarked Lee McLaughlin at the far post who was denied a certain goal by a superb Bycroft save one-on-one.

It became a test of defence steel for Horseman’s side during the closing stages, one in which they passed.

A hard-fought three points but points the side were well worthy of to mark their first win in Premier League 2.

They’ll be looking to build on the result with a trip to the Madjeski to face Reading in a week’s time.