B Team Report: Charlton 4-1 Saints


Southampton's B team suffered defeat in their second Papa John's Trophy outing of the season, losing 4-1 to League One side Charlton Athletic on Tuesday night.

Experienced forward Jayden Stockley put the hosts ahead on 28 minutes, finishing from close range after a goal mouth scramble.

Stockley scored his second from the penalty spot, before Ben Purrington added a third in first-half stoppage time.

Saints dominated the second half, grabbing a goal for their efforts through Olly Lancashire’s 75th minute header on the end of a superb Kamari Doyle free kick.

But it was the Addicks who scored the final goal of the game, captain James Pearce heading home in stoppage time.

Will Smallbone was the notable name amongst the Saints team sheet, starting in midfield alongside captain Kegs Chauke.

Youngsters Doyle and Lewis Payne kept their place in the eleven, whilst Lancashire returned from injury in defence.

Thierry Small missed out on the trip to Southeast London with an injury.

Charlton’s line-up was a strong one; experienced faces in former Portsmouth defender Jason Pearce and striker Stockely, who have 945 career appearances between them, both starting.

As to be expected the home side started the quicker of the two in front of their fans. Sean Clare, who signed for the Addicks during the summer, flashing a shot wide of the far post inside three minutes

Charlton’s number seven Diallang Jaiyesimi was another individual who started the game brightly, closely marshalled by Dynel Simeu and Lewis Payne.

As the half wore on Saints began to grab a foothold in the game after weathering the early storm.

Payne carried his side forward on 22 minutes before winning a free kick just outside the area. Doyle stepped up and almost found the head of Lancashire at the back post with a tempting delivery in.

But just as the visitors were beginning to threaten the hosts dealt a cruel blow, Stockely finishing from close range on 28 minutes after a goal mouth bundle to put Nigel Adkins’ side ahead.

Things got from bad to worse just five minutes later for Saints, when keeper Jack Bycroft bought down Clare in the box leaving referee David Rock with no choice but to point to the spot.

Stockley stepped up and made no mistake in doubling the home side’s lead 11 minutes shy of the break.

Next to threaten for Charlton was Charlie Kirk, another of their summer signings, who cut inside from the right but couldn’t find the target with a curled effort.

Jaiyesimi continued prove problematic for Saints down that right wing, managing to wiggle his way into the box during the first half’s final minutes before Bycroft matched his shot at the near post.

Despite creating little in the way of chances of their own, Saints had stood firm for the majority of the first half – bar that vital five minutes - as the Addicks threatened on plenty of occasions.

Despite this, in the second minute of stoppage time, the mountain got that bit bigger for Dave Horseman’s side, Purrington heading in at the back post.

Although the score line and the task ahead of them was a huge one, Saints started the second half the brighter of the two sides, cheered on by the 40 travelling fans in attendance.

Doyle tested keeper Nathan Harness from range, before Payne looked to be in on the far side before slipping at the vital moment.

Saints dominance brew and then Horseman’s side were presented with a glorious chance to hit back in the 56nd minute.

Ramello Mitchell burst into the box from the left wing, before being taken down by Adam Matthews resulting in a Saints penalty.

Up stepped Caleb Watts, who saw his penalty well saved by Harness down to the keeper’s right.

Charlton decided to sit on their three-goal lead during the second 45, giving Saints plenty more opportunities to threaten.

With 20 minutes to go Watts and substitute Dom Ballard combined well, the latter getting the ball trapped between his feet at the key moment after a surge into the box.

Watts was involved again soon after, winning a free kick just outside the penalty area which Doyle stood over, eventually firing into a tall Charlton wall.

Finally, with 15 minutes to go Saints got a deserved award for their second half performance.

In came a set piece by Doyle from the left-hand-side, which was headed home triumphantly by Lancashire for his first goal since re-joining the club in the summer.

Charlton almost got a cruel fourth with a rare second half attack, Purrington inches away from his second of the game after striking the crossbar in the 82nd minute.

Down the other end Ballard came inches away from cutting Charlton’s lead even further, played in by Watts but beaten to the ball by the onrushing Harness.

But despite all the Saints pressure, the final goal of the game fell to the hosts. Captain Pearce heading home in the third minute of stoppage time.

Saints will next face Wolverhampton Wanderers in Premier League 2 on Monday 18th October.