Defeat in Derby for Saints

By SFC Media Mon 16 Dec Derby v Saints
Photo by Isabelle Field
Mon 16 Dec 7PM
Premier League 2 - Division 1
Derby County
Sibley [36' 71'] Whittaker [62'] Shonibare [90+3']
Robise [60'] Minkley (og) [69']
Slattery (64')
Referee: Simon Mather | Venue: Loughborough University Stadium | Attendance: 181

Southampton FC’s youngsters lost 4-2 to Derby County in an eventful Premier League 2 clash at the Loughborough University Stadium.

The Rams took the lead in the 36th minute through Louie Sibley, only for Saints to respond soon after the break with an emphatic Enzo Robise finish.

Derby replied less than two minutes later as Morgan Whittacker got the better of Jack Bycroft, only for Saints to come back once more with Callum Minkley turning into his own net following a Jake Vokins cross.

But the hosts hit Saints with an instant reply yet again; Sibley with his second of the game two minutes after the equaliser.

Derby added a fourth in stoppage time as Josh Shonibare curled an effort into the top corner to round-off the scoring.

Both sides made a handful of changes from their meeting last week in the Premier League International Cup; one of Derby’s returning faces Sibley hitting one just over the top right corner inside three minutes.

Saints then had a chance of their own from a corner; Oludare Olufunwa getting on the end of a Slattery cross and forcing a point-blank save.

Soon after it was the hosts’ turn to go close once more; Sibley once again trying his luck from range and rattling the crossbar inside ten minutes.

Lucas Defise went close early on.

Much like last week’s encounter the game began to open up as the half wore on; Whittaker and Alex Babos combining for the hosts and going just wide of the far post, before Vokins’s dangerous cross was met by Smallbone who forced a save.

Saints went even closer to breaking the deadlock just shy of the 25 minute mark; Robise turning away from his man and hitting a strong, low effort which Derby’s Henrich Ravas did superbly to stop.

Seconds later the visitors had another glorious opportunity, as Defise found himself with the ball inside the six-yard box but could only hit it over.

With the half seemingly turning into a stalemate, Derby broke the deadlock from nowhere through the influential Sibley.

The number 10 picked up the ball in midfield and ran at the Saints defence, before hitting an effort on the edge of the box which found Bycroft’s bottom right hand corner after 36 minutes.

Aaron O'Driscoll battling for possession during the first half.

Saints came so close to a solo effort of their own; Ferry using his strength and pace to attack down the left wing and get into the Derby box, only for his shot to be collected by Ravas at the depth.

Ravas was called into action once more before the break, producing a strong hand to deny Smallbone not for the first time this evening.

Early into the second half it was Bycroft called into action, getting down low to this left post to deny Jahmal Hector-Ingram.

On the hour mark, Saints got the goal they deserved; Robise finishing off the move after another superb solo run by Ferry.

Ferry burst into the box from the right and attempted to produce a shot of his own, only for Robise to smash home the rebound.

Kayne Ramsay in action during a busy second half.

But the elation was short lived for the visitors; two minutes later Derby reclaimed the lead through Whittacker, who skipped through the Saints defence and clipped his effort past Bycroft.

Saints didn’t let the hosts’ quick reply dampen their spirits, as they reclaimed the lead in the 68th minute.

Vokins involved once again down the left wing, producing a low dangerous cross which Derby’s Minkley turned into his own net.

In a second half which never seemed to stop for breath, unfortunately for Saints it was a case of déjà vu two minutes later.

Derby went ahead once more through Sibley’s second of the evening, a deflected effort which beat a helpless Bycroft from close range.

Substitute Kornelius Hansen looks to beat a Derby man to the ball.

Saints piled on the pressure during the closing stages with both Kornelius Hansen and Christian Norton bought on to bolster their attacking options.

But it was to no avail, Derby eventually adding to their lead in stoppage time through a curling Shonibare effort.

Southampton’s youngsters are now next in action in January, hosting Everton in Premier League 2.


Loan Watch: Hoedt helps Antwerp's ascent
Derby County

Head to Head Stats

  • Possession (%)
  • Shots
  • Shots on target
  • Corners
  • Passes Complete

Derby County PL2

Henrich Ravas (GK)
Ethan Wassall
Jordan Brown
Callum Minkley
Kornell MacDonald
Alex Babos
Festy Ebosele (86′)
Louie Sibley
Max Bird (C)
Jahmal Hector-Ingram
Jayden Mitchell-Lawson
Josh Shonibare (72′)
Morgan Whittaker
Liam Thompson
Cameron Cresswell
Festy Ebosele
Josh Shonibare
Josh Barnes

Southampton PL2

Jack Bycroft (GK)
Jake Vokins
Kayne Ramsay
Aaron O'Driscoll
Oludare Olufunwa
William Smallbone
Caleb Watts (66′)
Callum Slattery (C)
Lucas Defise
Enzo Robise
Kornelius Hansen (67′)
Will Ferry
Christian Norton (74′)
Kazeem Olaigbe
Kameron Ledwidge
Tommy Scott
Caleb Watts
Christian Norton
Kornelius Hansen
U23 Highlights: Derby 4-2 Saints 04:03
Derby v Saints

U23 Highlights: Derby 4-2 Saints

Full highlights as Saints fall to defeat in Derby.

U23 Gallery: Derby 4-2 Saints Highlights: Carlisle 1-4 Saints 3 hours ago
First team

Highlights: Carlisle 1-4 Saints

All five goals from a memorable afternoon at Wembley Stadium.

Saints Rewind: Pardew's likely Saints XI Saints As One: Club to supply 12,000 meals for those in need