Saints march on in FA Cup

By SFC Media Mon 08 Oct Womens and Girls
Photo by Matt Watson

Southampton booked their place in the first round proper of the SSE Women’s FA Cup with a 4-1 home victory over Larkhall Athletic.

Marieanne Spacey-Cale’s side continued their impressive journey in the competition as they ran out convincing winners at AFC Totton’s Testwood Stadium in Sunday afternoon's third qualifying round clash.

The decisive period came in a nine-minute spell during the second half in which Saints netted three times to pull clear.

They had led in the 19th minute, when Georgie Freeland was played through one-on-one and slotted into the bottom left corner, only to be pegged back shortly afterwards with a fine strike from distance that found the top corner.

That meant the sides went in level at half-time, and parity continued until midway through the second period, when the hosts powered away.

Rachel Woods broke the deadlock when she dribbled into the area and placed a precise effort into the bottom right corner, before Ellie Chaffe put clear water between the teams in the 70th minute with an effort from distance that dipped over the keeper.

Chaffe then made completely sure of the tie in the 76th minute, tapping in after Freeland had lobbed the ball over the Larkhall keeper.

Saints, who were welcomed to the pitch by a guard of honour from Pace Youth, who also acted as ball girls and mascots, will now face Poole Town away in the first round proper, with ties due to be played on Sunday 11th November.


Hughes: We need more belief in ourselves
Young Saints duo receive Lionesses call-ups
Womens and Girls

Young Saints duo receive Lionesses call-ups

Further international recognition for Saints.

Thu 27 Jun
Saints celebrate Girls' Football Week This weekend: Celebrating women's football, plus free shirt printing
Redmond: Fans should be excited
Brighton v Saints

Redmond: Fans should be excited

Praise for Saints' attacking options from Nathan Redmond.

4 hours ago
Djenepo hits the right note Highlights: Brighton 0-2 Saints