A statistical look ahead to Southampton's Barclays Premier League game against Sunderland at the Stadium of Light on Saturday.
• Sunderland have won only one of the last nine Premier League meetings with Saints (W1 D4 L4).
• Southampton are unbeaten in their last six league visits to the Stadium of Light.
• Five of the last six league meetings between the two have ended level at the Stadium of Light.
• Sunderland won in both cup competitions against Saints last season at home.
• Southampton’s 8-0 win in the reverse fixture was Saints’ biggest margin of victory in a league game since December 1921.
• Sunderland have lost 8-0 just three times in their history, including the defeat to Saints earlier this season.
• Sunderland’s three own-goals in the 8-0 defeat have contributed to the five they have conceded this season – the joint-most in the Premier League.
• Saints have benefitted from the most own-goals this season (5).
• Sunderland have won just one of their last ten Premier League games.
• Saints have now recorded their best ever Premier League points haul (57).
Sunderland wins: 23
Saints wins: 24
• The first six meetings were all in the FA Cup, with Sunderland progressing on four occasions, one after a replay, and Saints progressing once.
• The first league meeting between the two ended in a 3-2 success for Saints.
• Before the meeting earlier this season, Sunderland had not lost in seven meetings in all competitions.
• Saints’ last league win at the Stadium of Light was in January 2003.
• Sunderland have not won at home in the league against Saints in the last six meetings.
• The Black Cats last beat Saints at home in the league in December 1999.
• Saints have won just three of the last 11 meetings between the two.
Oct 2014: Southampton 8-0 Sunderland (Barclays Premier League)
Feb 2014: Sunderland 1-0 Southampton (FA Cup)
Jan 2014: Sunderland 2-2 Southampton (Barclays Premier League)
Nov 2013: Sunderland 2-1 Southampton (Capital One Cup)
Aug 2013: Southampton 1-1 Sunderland (Barclays Premier League)
Southampton 8-0 Sunderland
Barclays Premier League
18th October 2014
A day that no Southampton or Sunderland fan will ever forget as Saints ran out 8-0 winners against the Black Cats at St Mary’s.
An own-goal from Santiago Vergini set the tone for the visitors before Graziano Pellè and Jack Cork scored to make it 3-0 at half-time.
Liam Bridcutt’s own-goal just after the hour was followed by another for Pellè, Dušan Tadić’s strike and Victor Wanyama’s fine finish.
The scoring was completed when Patrick van Aanholt put Sadio Mané’s shot through his own net.
Saints: Forster, Clyne, Alderweireld, Fonte (c), Bertrand, Cork, Schneiderlin, S. Davis (Mané), Tadić, Pellè (Mayuka), Long (Wanyama). Unused substitutes: K. Davis (GK), Gardos, Yoshida, Reed.