Mugabi signs new Saints deal to 2017

By SFC Media Fri 13 Feb Club

Young defender Bevis Mugabi has signed a new two-and-a-half-year contract with Southampton Football Club.

Mugabi follows in the footsteps of fellow defenders Jordan Turnbull and Jason McCarthy, who both penned new deals with the club this week.

The 19 year-old, who has returned from a long-term injury to play a key role for Martin Hunter’s Under-21 side this season, has extended his stay until the summer of 2017.

Mugabi joined Saints in July 2011 after being let go by Fulham, with whom he had progressed through the ranks. His form for the Under-18 side saw him named on the standby list for two England Under-17 squads.

A long-term knee injury curtailed his progression, but he returned in late-2014 and has since made his mark for Hunter’s development side.

The central defender has made eight appearances in total so far this season, scoring three goals, including two in two games, against Chelsea and then Everton.

Mugabi will now be hoping to work his way into the thoughts of Ronald Koeman’s first team plans, and the defender says the next two years are extremely important for him.

Speaking to saintsfc.co.uk, Mugabi said: “I’m delighted to get it actually signed and all sorted so I can now just focus on my football and prove my place.

“The next progression for me is first-team football, so hopefully I can carry on working hard and prove myself in training and matches.

“The club gave me my chance when Fulham let me go. It’s the place to be for any young footballer. Southampton have produced loads of players and hopefully I can be one of them to come through.”

Monday Briefing: October 12th
Club

Monday Briefing: October 12th

The latest Saints news.

54 mins ago
Club Statement: Ross Wilson Non-League Day: Find a game
Everton tickets on general sale
Saints v Everton

Everton tickets on general sale

Fans can secure their seats for the Premier League clash.

2 hours ago
Armstrong stars in Scotland win Gallery: Saints 8-0 Buckland