saintsfc.co.uk takes a look at some of the facts and figures ahead of Southampton's Barclays Premier League game against Arsenal at St Mary's.
• Saints have dropped the fewest number of points from a winning position this season (2).
• There have been five red cards in six Premier League meetings between Arsenal and Southampton at St Mary’s.
• Arsenal have won seven and lost one of their last nine New Year’s Day games. The one draw came against Saints in 2013.
• Graziano Pellè has had more shots than any other player in the Premier League so far this season (59).
• Nathaniel Clyne has made 78 tackles so far this season, more than any other Premier League player.
• Saints have conceded just twice from set pieces so far this season.
• Only Manchester City (11) have hit the woodwork more times than Saints (9).
• Ronald Koeman has won two of his previous eight meetings with Arsene Wenger, drawing four and losing two.
• The last three games at St Mary’s between the two sides have ended in draws.
Saints wins: 17
Arsenal wins: 45
• The first-ever meeting between the two sides was in an FA Cup semi-final at Stamford Bridge. Arsenal won the game 2-1.
• In May 2003, Arsenal beat Southampton 1-0 in the FA Cup Final at the Millennium Stadium. Robert Pires scored the only goal.
• The Capital One Cup win earlier this season was the first time Saints had ever beaten Arsenal in a cup competition.
• Saints’ first win against Arsenal came in December 1966, when they won a Division One game 2-1 at home.
• After three straight wins between 1966 and 1968, Saints would not beat Arsenal again until 1979, a winless run that lasted 16 games.
• Saints’ last Premier League win against Arsenal was in November 2002 when two goals from James Beattie and an own goal from Kolo Toure sealed a 3-2 win.
• Last season, Saints drew 2-2 with Arsenal at St Mary’s, with José Fonte and Adam Lallana grabbing the goals.
• The two sides met on New Year’s Day in 2013, with Guly Do Prado’s own goal cancelling out Gaston Ramírez’s strike to earn the Gunners a point.
Dec 2014: Arsenal 1-0 Southampton (Premier League)
Sept 2014: Arsenal 1-2 Southampton (Capital One Cup)
Jan 2014: Southampton 2-2 Arsenal (Premier League)
Nov 2013: Arsenal 2-0 Southampton (Premier League)
Jan 2013: Southampton 1-1 Arsenal (Premier League)
Arsenal 1-0 Southampton
3rd December 2014
Saints were denied a deserved point by a late Arsenal goal from Alexis Sanchez, as the Gunners made up for their Capital One Cup defeat to Ronald Koeman’s side.
Graziano Pellè and Shane Long both had chances for Saints, while Fraser Forster was at his very best for much of the night to prevent Arsenal from taking the lead.
But after Toby Alderweireld went off injured with Saints having made all three substitutions, Sanchez tapped home from Aaron Ramsey’s cross to win it for Arsene Wenger’s men.
Arsenal: Martinez, Chambers, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Monreal, Ramsey, Flamini, Oxlade-Chamberlain (Giroud), Cazorla, Sanchez, Welbeck (Podolski). Unused substitutes: Gibbs, Rosicky, Sanogo, Bellerin, Macey.
Saints: Forster, Clyne, Fonte, Alderweireld, Bertrand, S. Davis, Wanyama, Cork (Yoshida), Long (Mayuka), Pellè, Tadić (Mané). Unused substitutes: K. Davis, Gardos, Reed, Targett.