Saints Foundation is supporting ‘ONE BIG Sleepout’ in partnership with the Society of St James, to raise awareness of homelessness in our city.
Approximately 1000 people at any one time are homeless or facing homelessness in Southampton.
The work of the Society of St James ensures alternative solutions are available to vulnerable adults at a difficult time in their lives. Today’s society continues to grow and develop, but homelessness remains an issue across the UK.
You can make a difference by supporting our campaign. ONE BIG Sleepout at St Mary’s Stadium creates an opportunity to experience the hardship of rough sleeping and gain a greater understanding and empathy on the impact of not having a permanent roof over your head. Click here to read more on the effects of homelessness.
The Saints Foundation is inviting supporters to spend a night as a rough sleeper on Friday 22nd March 2013. You will experience the reality of sleeping without home comforts, on a hard floor in a sleeping bag, but in a safe and unique environment of St Mary’s Stadium.
The event will also raise funds for the Award winning partnership project ‘Saints4Sport’ which has worked with over 400 vulnerable adults in the past 12 months through a sport and education programme. To date:-
• 195 participants have undertaken an accredited qualification.
• Created work placement and employment opportunities for 15 participants.
• Service users participating with Saints4Sport reduced their drug use by 69% over the course of their rehabilitation programme, compared with a 6% reduction amongst those not involved in Saints4Sport.
• The project won a ‘Community Impact Award 2012’ at the National Housing Federation’s Annual event.
• To view the impact of Saints4Sport Click here and hear Carl’s personal journey.
It is reported that life expectancy of homeless people in the UK who suffer a range of complex health issues only live a little longer than those in the poorest countries, with the average age of death at 47 for men and 43 for women. This compares with 77 for the general population. Be part of ONE BIG Sleepout and make a difference.
Contact Shelley Davies for registration and fundraising details on [email protected] or call 02380 711997
Saints Foundation has an objective of supporting disadvantaged young people and vulnerable adults, using the brand of Southampton Football Club and sport, as a catalyst of engagement to make that difference.