Southampton FC Women continued their impressive week with a 3-0 win over Huddersfield Town in the final of the National League Cup.

After a back and forth first-half it was Saints who went into the break ahead. Alisha Ware tapping home the opener at the far post in the final minute of normal time.

It was an equally competitive second half, with the hosts, wearing yellow to confuse matters, proving just as clinical.

Lucia Kendall, who had been in amongst it all afternoon, received the ball on the edge of the box, before placing her shot into the bottom corner.

Kendall notched her second and the decisive third seven minutes from time, finding the same corner with a sweet strike from just outside the penalty area.

Saints were unchanged from the side that claimed the National League Southern Premier title over rivals Portsmouth on Wednesday night.

There were returning faces on the bench, however, with Phoebe Williams and Shannon Sievwright both amongst the substitutes.

It was a typically even opening 15 minutes for a cup final, with both sides finding their feet in a game of such importance.

Lucia Kendall was first to try her luck for Saints, firing a free-kick from 30-yards just wide of the keeper’s right-hand post.

The travelling Saints fans were in fine voice and thought their side had taken the lead on 23 minutes.

Alisha Ware did superbly well to win back possession on the left flank, before squaring the ball to Ella Pusey whose first-timed shot flashed just wide.

Huddersfield responded with an effort of their own; Laura Elford finding space on the edge of the box before seeing her shot fly just wide just two minutes later.

As the half grew older the away side enjoyed their best spell of the game so far. Brittany Sanderson rounding Rendell on 39 minutes, but unable to convert with Saints skipper Rosie Parnell able to clear off the line.

With half-time looming it looked like the game would be level at the interval, but for a late Saints strike.

Georgie Freeland surged down the right wing and produced a superb ball towards the far post, which was tapped home by a grateful Ware on 45 minutes.

The early stages of the second half followed the same fashion as the first, with both sides enjoying possession and looking a threat on the front foot.

Also in keeping with the first Kendall was the player to try her luck first for Saints, heading her effort against the bar on 57 minutes.

The Saints star girl was bound to have a say on proceedings, which is exactly what happened with just over 15 minutes to go.

Freeland was involved again on the right flank, firing a ball across the face of goal which was cleared into the path of Kendall on the edge of the box.

The England international took a touch, before confidently placing her effort into the far corner.

Just ten minutes later and it was two for Kendall, who all-but-confirmed the trophy for Marieanne Spacey-Cale’s side with a sublime strike into the top corner.

It could’ve been four in stoppage time, as Ella Morris burst forward with the ball before cutting inside and forcing Davies into a good save with her feet.

Ultimately Saints had to settle for three, on a superb week for the team and the club as the double was confirmed.