Southampton's youngsters exited the FA Youth Cup on Thursday night, beaten 1-0 by Sheffield Wednesday at St Mary's Stadium.

The first half was a very even affair, both sides having oppirtunites to take the lead but the scores even at the interval.

But despite the second 45 following a similarly equal pattern, this all changed in the the 77th minute. A quick Wednesday breakaway rounded off by Bailey Cadamarteri who opened the scoring.

The hosts pressed for an equaliser, but that solitary Cadamarteri strike proved to be the winner.

Saints fielded a strong outfit as they looked to make the most of home advantage, fielding the likes of Kamari Doyle, Dom Ballard and Luke Pearce. All of which had has positive experiences with the B team in recent weeks.

It was a scrappy start to the game at a soaked St Mary’s with Wednesday winning several early free-kicks in quick succession, the last of which Murtadha Al-Jahadhmy was inches away from connecting with at the back post after just five minutes.

The visitors kept pressurising their Saints counterparts as the game entered the tenth minute, Carl Martin’s side struggling to break into their opponents’ half.

Doyle was the architect, feeding Dibling who was just to the left of the six-yard box but couldn’t find the far corner in a chance which replicated that of Ballard’s on 12 minutes.

The final chance of the half would fall to the visitors, Filimon Ashfa firing in a cross from the right wing which keeper Eddie Beach did well to touch away.

Saints made a switch at the interval, Ross-Lang being replaced by the speedy Rylee Wright in order to profit from the through balls from midfield.

But much like the start of the first half it was Wednesday who enjoyed the better of the opening second 45 minutes.

Another deep free-kick was almost met by Bailey Cadamarteri but for a strong header from centre-back Jem Hewlett.

Saints looked to respond via a free-kick, Doyle stepping over it from about 30 yards out but unable to test Hall thanks to a strong Wednesday wall.

Another free kick was awarded just five minutes later, on the very edge of the penalty area as Luke Pearce looked to burst forward.

Doyle once again stepped up this time dinking the ball in behind the Wednesday defence, but a combination of Pearce and Ballard couldn’t connect before Hall collected the ball.

Wednesday went as close as anyone had come so far with a corner just past the hour mark.

Centre back Cian Flannery rushing in at the back but unable to find the target with his free header.

On 65 minutes Saints tried a quick free kick from deep in which Bragg looked for the run of Pearce. The Saints forward deemed just offside as the heavy rain returned.

The weather certainly affected the intensity of the game, with very few chances coming for either side as the clock ticked down.

Then after 77 minutes, the game had its opener.

A Saints break was halted just ahead of the Wednesday penalty area, which led to a break for the visitors.

Cadamarteri was played through at the second time of asking by Maltby, beating the offside trap and finish triumphantly past Beach.

Following the visitors’ goal it was all Saints as far as the possession was concerned, with the rain proving to be relentless.

A huge chance fell to Saints inside stoppage time, Ballard the right man seemingly in the right place played through but unable to direct his shot on target.

It proved to be the final chance in what had been a disappointing evening for Southampton’s youngters with defeat in the third round.

They will look to bounce back next time out, where they face a top of the table clash in the Under-18 Premier League against leaders Chelsea.