U18 Report: Saints bow out of Under-18 PL Cup


Southampton Under-18s were knocked out of the Premier League Cup at the quarter-final stage after a 4-0 loss to Aston Villa on Saturday.

Goals from Ewan Simpson and Charlie Lutz put the visitors 2-0 up in the first half, and two more goals after the break from Rory Wilson and Omari Kellyman completed the scoring.

Villa thought they had take the lead early on when Finley Munroe’s cross from the left was headed in at the back post by Wilson, but the linesman’s flag denied him the opening goal.

Saints then has a golden chance to go 1-0 up when they were awarded a penalty after good work from Alejandro Rodriguez-Gomes had seen his shot denied, with Will Merry subsequently taken down in the area.

However, Merry saw his spot-kick go wide of the post after he had picked himself up to take it.

Saints continued to push forward though and two quick chances almost saw them take advantage of some good attacking play.

First, Sam Amo-Ameyaw drove into the area through a crowd of bodies but could only direct his shot at Villa's goalkeeper James Wright, before a long-range effort from captain Josh Squires flew narrowly wide of the top corner.

It was to be the visitors who took the lead with 17 minutes on the clock, however. A floated cross from the right flank reached Simpson at the back post and his side-foot volleyed finish found the bottom corner.

Saints searched for a leveller and left-back Ethan Hartness was unfortunate to see his curling effort bend wide of the far post after he had cut in from the left.

It was proving to be an open game and Kellyman sent a fizzing volley over the crossbar as his side looked to double their advantage going into half-time.

The Villa midfielder then went close again when his header was excellently denied by Adli Mohamed in the Saints goal.

However, Villa did find their second in the 42nd minute when Charlie Lutz beat a Saints challenge in the box and squeezed a firm shot past Mohamed.

In the early stages of the second half, Saints looked to get a goal back; Amo-Ameyaw, who was an attacking threat throughout, pushed in from the right into a shooting position before seeing his low strike turned behind well.

Despite a spell of Saints pressure as the game wore on, Villa put the result beyond doubt as they stretched their lead.

Wilson turned home from close-range after a good run from Kellyman set him up, before Kellyman himself added the fourth by intercepting play near the Saints box and rolling a finish past Mohamed.

A good late chance for Saints striker Rodriguez-Gomes was saved as the home side looked for a reply but Villa were able to see out their win to progress to the next round.

Saints are in cup action again on Tuesday evening when they host Fulham in the FA Youth Cup, with kick-off at St Mary’s set for 7pm.